OK, I’m ready, but what hair colour will suit me?
Wait, should I use hair bleach, permanent hair dye, semi-permanent hair dye or temporary hair dye?
To achieve Blonde shades
To achieve Bold, Vibrant colour
To achieve permanently, natural-looking hair colour
To achieve a semi-permanent natural-looking colour
To cover up grey hair quickly and temporarily:
OK, I have found my perfect hair colour, am I ready to start?
OK, perfect shade, patch test, I’m good to go! What will I need?
In order to be prepared, you will need the following things:
1) Your chosen hair colour shade (two packs if you have long hair)
3) Old clothing (to wear whilst colouring)
4) Hair brush
5) Hair clips
Right, so how do I apply my hair colour?
Depending on the type of hair colour you have chosen and the desired outcome you are going for, how to apply your hair colour will be slightly different. However, the general rule of thumb for most hair dye applications are as follows:
1) Put on old clothes and cover shoulders with towel.
2) Brush and detangle hair with hairbrush.
3) Split hair into 4 sections and use hair clips to keep them in place (we recommend splitting your hair down the middle to the back and then dividing those two sections in two again).
4) Put on gloves
5) Mix the colour according to the instructions. Make sure your mix very well.
6) Start with 1 section and apply dye onto your hair.
- a. Section out smaller parts of your hair from one section and apply the dye to the roots.
- b. Massage dye at the roots and evenly distribute for consistent coverage.
- c. Once you have covered the roots, apply dye to the mid-lengths and the ends of that section.
- d. Massage dye thoroughly into hair for even coverage.
- e. Use a hair clip to clip away that section and repeat this process for the other sections.
7) Leave the formula in your hair and wait for the recommended time given in the instructions.
8) It’s time to rinse! Ensure you rinse all the hair dye out thoroughly until the water runs clear. Most at-home hair dye kits come with a dedicated shampoo and/or conditioner specifically made to look after your newly coloured hair. The Colorista Permanent Gel hair colour comes with an intense conditioning kit that you can use for up to 6 weeks to leave hair shinier and silky smooth.
Pro Tips for going from a Dark Hair Colour to Light Hair Colour
• Once you've covered all your lengths and ends with the colour, then apply the colour to your roots and let it process for the recommended time
Pro Tips for Root Touch-Up/Colour Refresh
• If you are touching up your roots, mix your colour according to the instructions and apply to your re-growth hair only. Avoid overlapping this colour onto your previously coloured hair as you may experience damage or inconsistent colour results.
To help refresh the colour on your lengths and ends and ensure even results, in the last 5 minutes before your processing time has finished, apply any remaining colour to the lengths and end of your hair. This will ensure your hair colour is even in tone and colour remains highly pigmented for longer.